Friday 8 May 2009

Not A Very Special Day :o(


I don't feel very well today  :o(

I feel cold and keep trying to snuggle up to my people to get warm, but then I get all cross with being snuggled and need to go and be warm on my own. 

I have had little plays with Bran but mostly I have been barking at him because he keeps racing round and round and round and he's making my head dizzy!!

I feel so cold that I don't like being outside today so have been doing my wee-wees inside. I know that I should do them out in the grass but the wind is blowing very hard today and it is sooooooo cold out there.

I keep making this funny noise out of my mouth as well. 

Sarah is looking at me like she's a bit worried and has spoken to Auntie Fi, so I am going to see Oliver - the very special heart doctor - a bit later on today to see if I need any medicine to make me feel better.

Meantime, I'm snoozing in the sunbeam.....






Foster Nanny update: We're back from the vets with rather unsettling news. Our little Prince Hugo is even more special than we could have thought for. The fact that he is here at all seems to be some sort of miracle as his tiny little body appears to be something of a genetic disaster zone  :o(

Whilst each of his heart defects isn't that unusual in a dog, all 4 of them together is. His pale gums and tendency to be cold is linked to the fact that his heart is enlarged and causing poor circulation. He has a rather oddly protruding little bottom which seems to be another unusual thing to occur. Plus he only has one descended testicle and Oliver suspects that his immune system may be weak. As his heart is so enlarged, his other organs are being a bit squished and so we could be facing problems with almost anything. Also, as so many of these problems are congenital, at this moment in time we have absolutely no idea of the full extent of what is going on with his little body but we can't rule anything out. As he is so tiny and his future so bleak, Oliver is reluctant to mess him about with too much medication at this stage. 

Thankfully, the cough of today is not a heart failure type cough, but is most probably kennel cough. Although most dogs could fight this off without medical intervention, we've decided to take the safe route of giving Prince Hugo some antibiotics to help the infection on it's way. Fingers crossed, it does it's job and helps him to improve.

Let's not forget that the young man is also a terrier and so, despite having spent most of today mooching around feeling sorry for himself, he gave a rather huge great dane and her puppy a whole torrent of rather foul language for such a small chap in the vets' waiting room!!

3 comments:

  1. Poor Prince Hugo!

    If he's feeling the cold maybe a little coat? I know it's am embarrassment for a terrier, but sometimes a little t-shirt can take some of the sting away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Hugo

    If I could I'd lend you my fluffy fur to keep you warm but as I'm a long way from you, I'll send my hugs to you to hope you feel much better very very soon.

    And my mummy sends even bigger hugs to your foster nanny and sophie and says she is very very proud of them both for looking after you.

    love Muppet xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prince Hugo has some very special friends who are going to knit him some jumpers! He is a very lucky boy - thank you Amy (and Amy's mum!) and Nettie :o)

    Thank you very much for the hugs from you and your mummy, Muppet. You are a very special puppy xxx

    ReplyDelete